Having access to 5GHz WiFi network provides a blazing-fast and lag-free internet connection to your devices. But, what is the point of having it if Netgear 5GHz channel won’t show up on the list of available networks?
If you are struggling with this issue, you are not alone. It is a relatively common problem faced by Netgear users. In this guide, we have shed light on the tips that will help you troubleshoot the issue at hand in a matter of minutes. So, scroll down and read on.
Reasons Why Netgear 5GHz Channel is Not Showing Up
There can be a number of reasons why the Netgear 5GHz channel is not showing up. Listed below are some of the topmost ones:
- Your Netgear wireless range extender or WiFi-enabled device is not compatible with 5GHz network.
- Your device might be running on an outdated or corrupted firmware version.
- Technical glitches can also be one of the factors contributing to the Netgear 5GHz channel not showing up issue.
Now, you can take the help of the below-mentioned troubleshooting tips and learn how to get rid of the issue you are currently experiencing.
Fixed: Netgear 5GHz Channel Not Showing Up
a) Restart Your Netgear Extender
Before you do anything else, give your Netgear wireless range extender a restart. In order to reboot your device, mentioned below are the instructions that you need to follow:
- Disconnect your Netgear extender from your home router.
- Power off your extender. Thereafter, unplug it from the electrical outlet.
- Wait for a couple of seconds.
- Then, plug the extender back into the wall outlet and turn it on.
- Oh, and do not forget to create a connection between your extender and router.
If rebooting your wireless range extender doesn’t resolve the Netgear 5GHz channel not showing up issue, continue reading.
b) Check the Compatibility
As mentioned above, chances are that you might be using a specific model that does not support the 5GHz frequency channel. Another possibility is, your Internet Service Provider has restricted your access to the 5GHz channel.
Thus, make sure that your extender model supports 5GHz frequency band. Or, contact your ISP and ask him to give you access to the 5GHz WiFi channel.
If doing none of these things work in your favor, reach out to our experts.
c) Perform Netgear Firmware Update
If the firmware of your Netgear wireless range extender is running on an outdated version, it is high time you update it. No idea about how to do that? Here are the guidelines you need to follow:
- Launch a browser on your PC. Make sure that your device is connected to the extender via Netgear_ext.
- Once assured, type the default web address into the URL bar.
- Press the Enter key.
- You will find yourself on the Netgear extender login page.
- Fill in the default login credentials.
- Click Log In.
- Once you are on the Netgear Genie dashboard, click Settings > WiFi Settings.
- Select Firmware Update and follow the on-screen prompts.
And with that, you will successfully be able to update the firmware of your device.
d) Reset Your Netgear Extender
If even after following the aforementioned troubleshooting tips, you are stuck with the Netgear 5GHz channel not showing up issue, you should reset your device.
Here is how you can restore your wireless extender to the default settings:
- Look at all sides of your extender and try to locate the Reset button.
- Found? Good.
- Now, take an oil pin and press the Reset button with its help.
Once you have finished resetting your wireless device, do perform new extender setup. If you are not sure regarding the process to configure a Netgear range extender, refer to the user manual.
The Bottom Line
The 5GHz WiFi network offers a great way to cut through overcrowding on the other radio band and lock in faster browsing speed on your device. But, sometimes, Netgear 5GHz channel doesn’t always show up on the list of available networks.
Thanks to this post, you now have several troubleshooting tips that will most likely solve the problem at hand. By accessing 5GHz channel, you can enable Smart Connect, change default password, and tweak a lot more settings of your extender with great ease.
Just in case you have any doubts or queries, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our technical experts.