Users connect their client devices to the wireless range extender so that they can access a fast internet connection on them. However, after connecting the devices, one can’t simply leave their security unnoticed. What we mean to say is that it is important to keep an eye on the client device so that no unauthorized user is able to mess around. After reading this, wondering, how to spy on devices connected to my WiFi extender? No problem.
We have answered this question in this blog post. Here, we have mentioned two features through which you can view the connected devices. Given this, continue reading.
For your information, in this blog post, we have specifically shed light on one brand, Netgear and the application which gets used to manage its devices, Nighthawk application.
How to Spy on Devices Connected to My WiFi?
In order to view the connected devices, you need to first ensure that the Nighthawk app is installed on your device. In case you haven’t installed it yet, here is how you can do so:
- Make your way to the store of your device. You need to go to the GOOGLE PLAY STORE or the APPLE APP STORE to be specific. This varies on the device in use.
- To be more particular about this, for ANDROID users, the first needs to be accessed and for IOS users, the second one ought to be accessed.
- Go to the search bar located at the top and enter NIGHTHAWK APP there. You can proceed further with the installation process by tapping the SEARCH icon.
- Soon a list will appear with all the results related to the entrée you have made. Select the application that needs to be installed and tap the DOWNLOAD button.
- Wait for the application to get installed properly on the client device. See to it that there are no unwanted interruptions during the process.
- As soon as you have installed the application, launch it. In non-technical terms, open the app. A login window will appear at the beginning.
- Enter the details that you used to create the MyNETGEAR account to log in. Tap the SIGN IN button and wait for the next screen to appear.
- It is recommended that you use the changed details rather than using the default ones if you changed them when the Netgear WiFi extender setup process finished.
- As soon as the dashboard comes into view, go to the SETTINGS menu. Once done, select the NETWORK MAP button, which is the first feature we were talking about.
- You will see the topology of your network there. Now, tap the model of your extender in order to spy on the devices that are connected to it.
To access the second feature, once the main dashboard appears, tap the DEVICE MANAGER option. Soon your connected devices will come into view.
Now that you have got the answer to the question, how to spy on devices connected to my WiFi extender, it is recommended that you learn how to protect the network. This is so that no unauthorized user is able to access the extender and connect his or her device to its WiFi network for misusing it. To learn how this can be done, keep reading.
How to Secure WiFi Range Extender Network?
The easiest way through which you can safeguard your extender is to change the WiFi password via mywifiext.net. Here is how you can about the process:
- Open a new tab on the internet browser which you are using as of now. Make sure that the browser is not updated to the latest version but also cache-free.
- Go to the address bar of your internet browser and enter mywifiext.net to access the login page. You can also use the 192.168.1.250 IP address for the same.
- Enter the admin login credentials and click the LOGIN button. On the NETGEAR GENIE page, select SETTINGS > WIRELESS SETTINGS.
- Select the network name of your extender and click the USE A NEW PASSWORD under the WIFI PASSWORD field. Then, select the SECURITY TYPE.
- Enter the new password. Soon you will be asked to verify it. Once the verification get completed, scroll down, and click the SAVE button.
And you are done changing the WiFi password of the extender. By the way, if you are using the MAC device instead of WINDOWS, then use the mywifiext.local web address to log in.
After taking a walk through the information mentioned above, were you able to get an answer to the “how to spy on devices connected to my WiFi extender” question? Yes? Well then, congratulations. In case you are interested to gain more knowledge about how to keep an eye on the connected devices, it is suggested you read what is given in the manual.